Friday, March 20, 2009

Fasting, Praying and Spirituality

I worry in these days because of how fashionable it is now to be an atheist. I see atheism among zealots as being just as dangerous in its own way as Islamic Fundamentalism to the survival of a free society on earth. Fundamentalism of all kinds: Atheism, Scientific, Islamic, Christian, Hindu, Judaism etc are all equally dangerous to the survival of all life on earth.

From a purely pragmatic point of view the least dangerous point of view (to the survival of life upon earth) might be an ecological agnosticism. An Agnostic is not sure whether God exists or not whereas an atheist often hates anyone who believes in anything which I believe is equally dangerous as those who believe that there way is the only way and that anyone who doesn't believe their way should die. And this belief can manifest itself both explicitly or implicitly.

I worry that mankind because of increased urbanization and mechanized educations through college that take people away from their basic natures as humans who lived in nature and not in cities for the most part for thousands and thousands of years is corrupting what it has meant to actually be a human down through history.

I worry that we are coming to the point where I may not be able to call what people are becoming as human.

I might be able to call what many are now becoming: psychological psyborg or even people with more and more metal implants of various kinds, psyborg. But less and less do I consider people under about 40 years old, human in a classical historic sense.

We are moving away from what it meant to be human for thousands of years. I just want people to be aware of this. Progress just for progress sake isn't necessarily good.

Enough people need to look at this realistically like I have or else what it is to be human will be permanently lost by most of humanity.

It is one thing to choose to be something. It is another to just fall off a cliff into being different than human for no real or useful reason.

The essence of being human for me is fasting, praying and spirituality. Without these three components of humanness there is no humanity in my view. I don't think formal religions are necessary. However, for humanity to have ethics and to retain its humanness fasting, praying and spirituality must exist. Without these basic components I see nothing that will make people altruistic enough not to just exterminate each other into oblivion.

No comments: