Wednesday, June 28, 2017

The 1950s when Television first began

I was talking to my younger daughter today and mentioning how then in 1954 when I was 6 years old my parents bought a 17 inch black and white portable TV simply because I spent so much time next door watching my 6 year old friend's television and they wanted me to spend more time at home with them.

Then we only started having CBS, NBC and ABC. That was all there was at first. Hopefully, wherever you were in the U.S. you had (through your aerial on top of your house) or rabbit ears on top of your television you had a strong enough signal to not only see clear enough from a station but you also had sound as well.

But now, I mentioned that I wondered with so much programming on so many stations how could anyone make any money at all to pay the actors?

She mentioned that people had learned from the movie Star Wars where merchandizing now is a part of most programs you see on networks, cable and Netflix and Amazon Prime, Hulu and all the rest.

Netflix alone now is in 190 countries on earth. I'm not sure how they deal with different languages, or else a whole lot of people worldwide are learning English through Netflix for example.

So, there actually is a market for all the new TV shows created on Netflix for people who have wifi but not cable all over the earth which is interesting in itself.

For example, my daughter and I started watching a program called "Love" through the WIFI of a hotel we were staying in:
  1. Love (TV Series 2016– ) - IMDb

    www.imdb.com/title/tt4061080
    With Gillian Jacobs, Paul Rust, Claudia O'Doherty, Mike Mitchell. A program that follows a couple who must navigate the exhilarations and humiliations of intimacy ... 

    Through her Macbook Pro laptop which I thought was kind of interesting. This isn't how I use my computer by the way. At home I have TIVO where I record anything I want which isn't on Netflix or Amazon prime.

    Between Tivo and Netflix and Amzon Prime I can watch almost anything I want to from the things on the networks I choose to program and record regularly to watching any time I want to Netflix and Amazon Prime. So, this way we can watch whatever we want to whenever we are free to at my flatscreen or our slightly smaller flatscreen in our bedroom.

    So, the way younger people than my wife and I use entertainment is different in a variety of ways. We still have cable but i find most younger people (younger than 40 to 45) don't have cable because they see things differently than we do as my wife is in her early 60s and I'm almost 70 now.

    So, each generation has it's own way of approaching entertainment and even then, each financial demographic has it's own way of approaching entertainment too.

No comments: