Wednesday, August 15, 2018

1968 Camaro

In 1968 I bought a V8 Camaro new. I thought about buying a gold used one but wound up buying a new 1968 metallic light blue Camaro instead. Eventually I got this thing up to 145 mph by accident. I had put oversized wheels on it and got a ticket when my speedometer said something else. So, I got out of the ticket because my wheels were too big and the speedometer needed to be recalibrated to be useful then. But, I then realized I had actually driven it 145 miles per hour also at a different time.

Most cars didn't have radial tires yet but this car (like a Mustang) is very very manuverable even at high speed in turns without crashing. Most other cars weren't like this on the road then.

So, when I saw a car on the 405 (San Diego Freeway) near the LAX Airport go into the air in front of me I knew it was a disaster because I and all the cars around me in the fast lane were going around 70 to 75. My car was the only one not wrecked in front of me or behind me because I steered into the emergency lane but other cars couldn't follow me because the couldn't do this manuver at that speed without crashing the way they were designed then. So, most cars in front of me and behind me were destroyed in this multi-car accident but I wasn't touched because I knew how to drive this car in an emergency.

The accident likely was caused by someone going too fast and not stopping fast enough and then going up and over and into the air over the car in front of them and creating a mess that I was able to survive because I was about 20 then and had very good reflexes and was in the right car to do this.

I was able to afford this car because I started working as a Computer programmer at age 20 while still going to college and while living at home with my parents. This allowed me to afford a car like this then. My girlfriends liked my car a lot and so did I.



Image result for 1968 metallic blue camaro
Image result for 1968 metallic blue camaro

No comments: