Thursday, September 28, 2023

I just looked up the year 1963 and the "Beach" movies made that year. It turns out on my first date it must have been "Beach Party"

Beach Party (1963)

A bearded anthropologist studies the habits of swingin' American teens while they enjoy the summer surfing, loving, and partying at the beach.
Rating: 5.7/10 · ‎2,285 votes
Beach Party is a 1963 American film and the first of seven beach party films from American International Pictures (AIP) aimed at a teen audience.

At the time I identified in Glendale, California as a surfer. I couldn't legally drive yet so I had my best friend drive my date and I to the Alex Theater (which I think is still there in Glendale today) in his 1951 Red Ford Convertible. I was sitting at the window with her in the center but my friend had a thermos on the floor and when I got out I accidentally kicked the thermos out in front of the theater and it broke so I had to pick it up. After the movie Gail and I walked home that night. This was my first date and was likely within a month after President Kennedy was assassinated in 1963 when I was 15.

Being a surfer then meant you wore white t-shirts covered over with a Pendelton Wool Shirt and you wore tight Levi Jeans with white socks and tennis shoes. This was how we dressed as surfers then in Los Angeles in 1963.

My friend and I that year took our surfboards to the beach in his 1951 Red Ford Convertible by sticking the 10 foot long boards down under the front seats with the top down. Somehow police didn't stop us for driving down the freeway like this. But, by 1964 I was 16 and had bought my own car, a 1956 Blue and white two tone Ford Stationwagon which could carry many surfboards and friends to the beach or Scuba Diving then places like Malibu. At 16 I also started dating a 21 year old girl from my church and because she was from my church my parents approved somehow. But, it also caused me to grow up too fast I think then.

 

No comments: