Tuesday, September 19, 2023

My Parents

My parents met sometime around 1940 I believe in Seattle. However, they didn't get married until 1946 simply because my father was married to someone else in 1940 and didn't get divorced until 1946 I believe. I didn't come along until 1948 there in Seattle Washington.

When I was 4 years old my father and mother and her mother and I moved to San Diego County to Vista, California. People were  very different in San Diego than in Seattle. It likely has something to do with the weather I guess. It was sunny all the time pretty much so you could play outside every day there in Vista where we first settled but like I said people were very different there than in Seattle. Seattle has a Canadian Influence and many people intermarry with people from Canada which gives Seattle a much different way of being than in California. (at least it did then in 1952) when I first arrived at age 4. I remember hearing a Mockingbird for the first time which imitates all the other birds and I would lay awake at night listening to the interesting bird songs it copied from all the other birds. This is just what mockingbirds do. Also, the nights were warm unlike Seattle and this took some getting used to also. Then we moved to El Cajon to a house from the duplex we were renting in Vista, California. The house was nice because it had a big backyard and an apricot tree that I could climb into and eat ripe apricots out of. Nothing like that could grow in Seattle. But, I missed my grandparents and my cousins a lot that lived in Seattle.

When I was going to start 1st Grade my parents were put in charge of the Hope street Los Angeles "I AM" Temple then and so we moved first to Tujunga up against the Angeles Crest Mountains where it snows sometimes in winter for 2 years but then moved closer to Los Angeles to Glendale because my Father's sister lived there and she said the public schools were the best in the Los Angeles area then. Which was true because my cousin got scholarships to USC and to NYU Law School all the way through college from going to the public Schools in Glendale, California. 

My parents were in charge of this church from the time I was 6 years old until I was 12 years old. Then my mother's father died and she sort of had a mini nervous breakdown from this and so they decided not to be in charge of their church in Los Angeles anymore. Then the next lady they recommended for the job ran the church until she was 106 years old which was pretty amazing too because I think she was only maybe 40 or 50 years old when they recommended her for the job.

No comments: