Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Writing as a way of understanding yourself and your life better

 All of us have been traumatized growing up into adults in various ways. This changes a lot how we behave in various situations. Learning these things about yourself you can become more in harmony with yourself and more self accepting of yourself and who you are.

I was lucky in some ways where my mother looked upon me a lot like I was a new Jesus or something like that growing up. I suppose many people might question if this was good or bad for me or for the people around me. But, when I look back at all this I see this as creating mostly good outcomes for me. My parents Revered me and I revered them. It wasn't a perfect relationship by any means. However, my parents and I were sort of like the Three Musketeers in that we were always (All for One and One for All) so in this sense we all had each others backs in difficult situations. In fact, my father and mother honored me by allowing my Grandmother (my father's mother) to give me his old .22 Rifle when I was 8 years old. My Grandmother was originally from Texas so this was part of her culture growing up to give a rifle to a boy by 8 or 10 years old and bullets IF they trusted the boy not to misuse the rifle and to protect others like smaller children from being harmed.

Of course in the 1950s it was a part of a tradition going back to the 1600s here in the U.S.of giving boys rifles to protect their families from bad people and from harmful animals like rats or bears or mountain lions or things like this which were much more of a problem then  than they are now most places. But, it was a part of this tradition of hundreds of years in teaching boys to defend their families and this always included girls who people felt could handle this kind of "weapons stress". So, there were many girls who weren't given guns and there were also many boys who weren't given guns simply because adults didn't feel that it was useful to do this. So, being given a gun and bullets was always done on a very individual basis after the soul searching of adults.

So, writing was a part of this and being a trusted child and moving towards also being a trusted adult capable of having and supporting a family in the future. So, it's also true of both boys and girls that this trust likely also helped them be trusted by the families of their potential mates too.

So, it wasn't that girls were not given guns it was just people knew you needed to have a certain kind of seriousness to give a gun to anyone who was a child. It was that they wanted to make sure that the child (boy or girl) was centered and serious enough to follow orders and to only use that gun as ordered by the parent or guardian.

No comments: