Monday, February 25, 2008

Do What you Can and the Rest Can

Do What you can. When I was growing up in the 1950s my mother talked a lot about just how awful the Great Depression was during the 1930s. She told me an expression everyone who survived the Great Depression used, it was, "Do what you can and the rest can" Basically, this meant to them that they should do what good they could and still survive and then stuff the rest either for the rest of their lives or until they could find some answer to these problems.

As our country moves into what appears to be a very slow repeat of the Great Depression(I really hope I'm wrong!)maybe this advice might be helpful once again. If money becomes the problem it was then, then it is unlikely people will be able to afford mental health professionals or medical doctors to survive. It is likely that many won't make it worldwide because of this.

Survival in any situation means moving out of ones comfort zone. Ones first reaction is always: "I can't do this. I can't survive this. This is impossible for me to survive!"

I say this because I have been in this position multiple times the last 60 years of my life. And each time something unexpected happened and I did survive some way some how. Survival in these kinds of situations is based upon being willing for life(God) to do the impossible. If you have ever spent much time in third world nations, the impossible is an everyday occurrence in the third world. Miracles happen all the time for people who live without much of anything. If it didn't they would all be dead.

In fact, spending some time in a third world country to see how they survive might be a good preparation for what we all might face in first and second world countries during the next 5, 10, or even 20 years.

No comments: