Tuesday, February 26, 2008

A Generation Lost to Mood Altering Drugs?

A Generation Lost to Mood Altering Drugs?My wife came home after conducting business in the morning to tell me of a study she heard of on NPR radio. It said that only 5% of the people who had been prescribed Prosac and Paxil could actually benefit from the drugs and the other 95% would have been much better off with a placebo instead.

She had heard me rail against mood altering drugs before as I had had really awful experiences that I witnessed first hand while I had been counseling Emotionally Disturbed Teenagers in the early 1990's. In fact, when I researched for myself I realized that mood altering drugs like Prosac would harm more than help most people. As I researched this further the studies said that Prosac like drugs actually rewired human brains and that they stayed rewired for life. Also, in these studies done in the 1980's and early 1990's they said that although most people who used mood altering drugs became more docile and obedient that there also was a tendency to become suicidal if the patient went off the drug within 2 to 4 weeks.(If you have studied counseling like I have, suicidal is not just suicidal. It is referred to most often as suicidal-homicidal tendencies. So if someone is capable of suicide they are most often capable of homicide too).

So you have a docile obedient person who doesn't like the effects of a mood altering drug and stops taking them and then you might have a Columbine situation or a Virginia Tech situation or I believe the last situation was at NIU. I'm not sure about Columbine but both the Virginia Tech killer and the NIU killer had been on mood altering drugs, in other words a prosac, a paxil, etc. etc. etc.

WHEN WILL THE NEEDS OF SOCIETY AND INDIVIDUALS BECOME MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE NEEDS OF DRUG COMPANIES TO MAKE MONEY!

note: I just found out that there is at least one class action lawsuit against Paxil for birth defects and suicidal side effects.

No comments: