Monday, June 26, 2023

Writing is often about a dialog between 2 or more persons

It's true you can write about what is physically happening or just happening inside someone's head but I find that communication between beings is more interesting. People are always going to be trying to figure out what their life is about and be rummaging  around in their own heads and looking for where they want to be internally and externally. We are all sort of bored to tears in some ways with the struggle to have meaning and usefulness in our lives.

So, what I find interesting is communication between beings combined with traveling different places. So, when I write this is often how I write about things. I also include what is going on inside of me or the characters I write about too. However, for me, it's about where they go physically and how they communicate with each other that interests me.

For example, my wife and I traveled to Santa Barbara for her 50th High School reunion. This was a very powerful thing for me simply because I have never attended even one of my high school reunions. I was remarking to a friend of my wife's from her class that I hadn't had the great experience in High School that most of them had had going to a private school. 

I found that I had to defend myself both verbally a lot as well as physically especially from people who were right out of "American Graffiti" the movie by George Lucas who also had a similar experience growing up to what I experienced. I hung out with people who were street racers but also Surfers in High School which for me was 1963 to 1966.

However, what pulled me out of a more Blue Collar way of life was my parents sending me to a private school my last year of High School where I became more collegiate material than before. Before I was too busy surviving high school before I went to this small private school in Santa Fe, New Mexico that was a part of my parent's church.

It's amazing how just sending me to this private school turned me into a leader and someone who wanted to go to college with my life.

So, writing is about whatever you want it to be about. But, I find communication between 2 or more beings while traveling somewhere is the most interesting of all.

No comments: