Friday, September 1, 2023

Temperatures dropped up to 31 degrees locally here near the San Francisco Coast of California

So, 101 became 70 one place nearby and here where I live on the coast it went from about 75 to 79 to 64 or 65 degrees where I live here on the coast. I heard on the weather report that smoke might be coming in from California up near Smith River and Crescent City area near the Oregon. When I went out during the day today I could smell the smoke but it wasn't burning my eyes. Then the coastal winds blew the smoke inland. But, the biggest change for us here on the coast was that the last 2 weeks have been the best weather since about last Christmas what with Atmospheric River after Atmospheric River devastating the coastline and throwing up rocks as big as 100 to 200 pounds across paved roads and through wooden fences. Then in May 1st it was foggy a lot from then until a few weeks ago. So, it has been much colder, wetter, stormier and rainier than it has been in years all over California since around December and there is less than 1 % of California now still in drought and that is mostly at the very north near the Oregon Border and the very south near Arizona. All the rest of the state is now out of drought (which is amazing in and of itself).

When I walked out into the drizzle this morning I was really surprised and glad I had closed all the windows last night. also for the first time in 2 or 3 weeks I needed to turn our heater on so we didn't feel cold day and night which we haven't had to do in 2 or 3 weeks until this morning because the temperatures day and night in the house have been between 70 and 75 degrees day and night even with the windows open.

So, the weather has been very strange just in a whole new way from the strangeness of the weather since last Christmas here in California.

As you drive around the state flowers are still blooming and trees are still very very green and it looks a lot more like April flowers and grasses which are still green many places in California still. the same with the trees all over the state too.

So, it is the greenest summer of any that I remember since I moved here in 1952 for the first time from Seattle Washington with my parents.

No comments: