Friday, May 24, 2024

Centipedes seem to be out in force this year

I think maybe it's like cicadas on the east coast out in force. However, Centipedes are not something you want wandering around your house or even outside on your deck either. So, in some ways it's the centipedes or the humans have to go if they are in your house where you live. 

I don't like dispatching things but centipedes you just can't leave them in your house or even outside of your house or there will be 100 there next season and then more after that especially with the amount of rain we had this year that helps everything live more than before whether it be bird or insect or whatever.

But, at least birds don't usually move into your house with you.

I remember one Hummingbird a few years ago got into our house and then insisted on going up and out through our Kitchen skylight. I worked a good part of the day trying to get this little guy down and out of the skylight and out the door to no avail. 

Finally when my wife wasn't looking I got a ladder and opened up the skylight from the roof by unscrewing the lag bolt that kept the wind from sucking it off the roof in a storm. We already had one experience where the flew in the chimney must have been open and the wind sucked the skylight off the roof above the kitchen and we came home to a waterfall in our kitchen. So, then I had to go up barefoot in the rain. IF I had to go up on the roof in the rain I find I'm more surefooted barefoot than any other way. It might be cold but it's much better to stay out of the hospital that way in an emergency so you don't fall off the roof because your shoes slip.

So, anyway when my wife wasn't looking I climbed the ladder, went up on the roof and released the hummingbird and he barely could make it across the street flying into a pine tree across the street. What was interesting was that my wife saw him fly across the street because she didn't know i climbed up on the roof to release him. She thinks I'm too old to be up on the roof now at 76 but i think I was around 74 when I did this and released the hummingbird before he beat himself to death on the closed skylight. I don't know whether he survived the next week or not but at least I was able to set him free so he might be able to do this

No comments: