Tuesday, September 19, 2017

My most scariest Earthquake when I believed then it was likely I would die Was February 1971

1971 San Fernando earthquake - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_San_Fernando_earthquake
1971 San Fernando earthquake. The 1971 San Fernando earthquake (also known as the Sylmar earthquake) occurred in the early morning of February 9 in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains in southern California.
Magnitude‎: ‎6.5–6.7 Mw
Total damage‎: ‎$505–553 million
Date‎: ‎February 9, 1971
I was in 1971 in February likely 20 years old still and staying with my parents in the Yucca Valley area at that time. It happened when most people were still asleep and so it was like waking up to a nightmare in real life. It was dark then (the sun hadn't come up and it wasn't even light yet so most people were shocked awake by the quake. I believe the night before I had driven down to a theater in Palm Springs with my mother as we used to like to go to movies together since she started this tradition with her father in the 1920s in Seattle when she was about 5 years old. We had seen the movie MASH from which the TV Series with Alan Alda Came from.
MASH (film) - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MASH_(film)
MASH (stylized as M*A*S*H on the poster art) is a 1970 American satirical black comedy war film directed by Robert Altman and written by Ring Lardner, Jr., based on ...

So, I woke up after this movie to this earthquake and being a
Californian where little Earthquakes happen all the time I first went to myself "Oh it's just another earthquake." But after what seemed like an eternity to me at the time it got stronger and stronger until I was banging my head against the wall from the intensity of it. At this point it was NOT just another little earthquake this was something really serious. At this point I thought it might even be a nuke because of the way this felt. But, when it eventually calmed down enough I turned on the radio and the news program said it was a huge Earthquake that had devastated the San Fernando Valley and had destroyed roads including freeways and a hospital so people had died in this thing. I think this was the earthquake where the Hanson dam almost failed too and so they had people evacuate in case it let loose.

No comments: