Monday, September 18, 2017

Write about what you know about

When people are writing often they try and write about things that seem interesting to them but often are things they don't know much about. This often is a mistake. We all know about certain things in our lives and less about other things. So, in writing about what we actually know about makes the most sense.

So, for example, I was born in Seattle Washington but only lived there until I was 4 years old. But, even though I didn't spend my whole life there I know a lot of about this area through my parents and my maternal grandmother Paternal Grandmother and aunts and uncles and cousins who grew up there.

Then I moved to San Diego (Vista and then El Cajon). In El Cajon I learned to ride a 24 inch bicycle when I was 5 years old and was (then in 1953) set loose upon the neighborhood (El Cajon) with my friend Danny Barsocks then. But, unfortunately after his dog bit me in the stomach but didn't draw blood and a couple of bicycle accidents where my eyebrow and eyelashes stayed on the pavement we moved to Tujunga in 1954 when I was 6 where I went to Pinewood Elementary School for 1st and 2nd Grade. Then we moved to Glendale to Belmont STreet near Maple park and I rode my bicycle to Horace mann Grade School for 3rd Grade through 6th Grade. However, Mrs. Bishop picked up boys she didn't like by their ears because her husband had divorced her and was fired for child abuse soon after that. But, I was good and didn't have my ears bleed or go deaf from what she did to boys in public school then. I was good so I wasn't tortured by her like other boys were then in 3rd Grade.

Then in 4th Grade Mrs. Krell discovered that I was a budding writer because she read my story up in front of the class and I blushed because I was shy and quiet then even though I usually was one of the tallest boys in my class so I didn't get beat up (at least by boys my own age then).

But, I saw a lot of blood in those days as friends of mine got bloodied in all sorts of problems and situations. but, because I was more intelligent than most other people I usually found ways not to be harmed in creative ways.

For example, if people wanted to harm me I knew it and found I didn't have to hurt them I could break their toys or bicycle instead so they would leave me alone. This worked throughout school. Things can be replaced. But broken teeth and broken heads and arms cannot. I never wanted to hurt anyone and so I avoided fights this way.

This was just strategic planning for people who were intelligent like me and didn't have problems being tortured by parents like being burnt by lit cigarettes on their hands and like that by parents or friends of their parents.

Since I had great parents I had no need to fight people out of craziness or frustration like many others I knew of then. All I had to do was to protect myself from crazy people trying to harm me and that's all.

I graduated 6th grade in 1960.

There were many more insane and crazy people caused by the fact that abortions weren't legal then and also caused by PTSD Dads returning from World War II and the Korean War at that time and torturing their kids or committing suicide and stuff like that.

Life was more suffering for people then than now for a variety of reasons. People understood themselves less than now and so many self destructed and were very confused people more than now.










No comments: