Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Can Jellyfish Drive Cars?

I had just told my wife the awful jellyfish story worldwide about jellyfish swarms replacing fished out areas of the ocean worldwide and that fish couldn't come back until the jellyfish were less in number again.

Her response was "Can jellyfish Drive Cars?" She laughed and said, "I meant can they fuel cars?" I said, "I don't know."

But I realized that since they are edible(some of them) then I suppose it is possible that they could be a fuel source in order to allow fish to replenish themselves in the ocean again.

To repeat for those of you who haven't heard, jellyfish are filling the niche left by the fish that are fished out of many areas of the oceans of earth. Fish cannot replenish themselves because jellyfish feed on plankton and baby fish. So fish can't get big because their plankton food source is disappearing into the jellyfish and the stinging tentacles of most jellyfish kill baby fish (just like seen on Little Nemo, the Disney cartoon) and thereby prevent immature fish becoming adults, many of which eat baby jellyfish after the baby fish become adults.

No comments: