Sunday, December 21, 2008

Jeremiah Johnson: The movie 1972

I dvr'd this movie last night and watched it with wife and Goddaughter and son today. It seemed quite different to me than when I first saw it. I guess not seeing it the last 20 years would make a difference. When I first saw in in 1972 I would have been 24 and people on the west coast and lots of other places ate up these kinds of movies like candy. It gave a taste of wilderness to anyone who really wanted it. However, my point of view now is just remembering all the times I almost froze to death doing some damn fool thing in the Sierras, the Rockies, the Cascades, Mt. Shasta or even the Himalayas. Mostly watching the movie now makes my body hurt from freezing to death a lot of times while skiing the backcountry, snowshoeing the backcountry or just surviving in the backcountry in a snow cave or cabin or tent during the 60s, 70s, or 80s.

No comments: