Saturday, December 20, 2008

Visitations by Old Friends Long Gone

I was waking up. My wife came into the room and said, "She came as a hummingbird." Though I and my mother and many other people I know have had these kinds of experiences I was amazed at who was having experiences like this and happy to find out how universal these kinds of experiences really are. When she had passed on in a plane crash years ago now she and her husband had come to me so I could help comfort her relatives still alive so I still see this all as an amazing experience.

When my father passed on the gap was more than I could bear. Within 6 months of his passing I kept seeing him in many forms. I don't know which was more disorienting, losing my father from the physical world or going to India and Nepal for 4 months with my family then in 1985 and 6. The most profound experience of my father coming to me was in an old man with a cane and a purple Nepali mens hat. He was walking into a bank. Except for a darker skin tone he looked almost exactly like my Dad. I remember how eerie it was to be in another country around dusk and seeing a doppleganger of my dead father walking into a bank. I followed him into the bank and the surrealism increased. Many places in India the Bank guards at that time kept a loaded double barreled shotgun resting on the floor or their right thigh pointed upward. This greatly discouraged bank robberies because one usually doesn't survive a shotgun blast. It also demonstrated the extreme disparity between rich and poor, poor in this case meaning, starving and/or begging.

Also, my ex-wife often came to me in the past after we broke up after 15 years of marriage as a flicker, which is a grey bird with spots and a pinkish orange under its wings you only see when it is flying. I believe it is a type of woodpecker. However, I haven't seen any since they sprayed for the Light Brown Apple Moths. However, they stopped spraying now and maybe they will eventually come back from other areas since the die off from the spraying.

No comments: