Monday, March 15, 2010

more on klr 650 dualsport

Originally, I thought about buying a BMW bike. However, after I studied that parts are available all over the world for the klr 650 and that in the bush it is much easier to fix I went for now with the klr 650 one year ago. This is not to say that I won't buy a BMW dualsport also eventually, it is that I wanted something that I could fix myself if I was out of cellphone range in the bush somewhere more easily. I finally got enough miles for my 600 miles servicing. I asked the service manager why I was supposed to keep the RPM under 4000 during the first 600 miles and he said that it was mainly to prevent all the metal filings that are in a new engine as it gets used to itself from damaging the engine as it wears in. Then when the oil is changed the first time all the refuse from the engine getting used to itself flows out and is replaced by the new oil and you are good to go for the higher rpms.

Originally, I was going to have my wife and I travel on this bike but realized as I rode it and studied it more that it is too high off the ground like all dualsports are to be a good two rider bike. You need a street bike(which this can be but is more like a jeep) to be a good safe fit for two people to ride. And off road on dirt or gravel roads riding two people really isn't a good idea except maybe in an emergency. Also, I had been thinking about putting progressive  front shocks for the added weight of two people but have decided against that as well. Also, I was going to put a new front sprocket on with one less tooth but also decided against that as it will greatly lessen my top speed on freeways and hiways.

So, I have come to the conclusion that if other members of my family want to travel with me it is better that they learn to ride their own dualsports. I got the right bike for my needs but others will have to figure out for themselves through research and experience what is best for them.

No comments: