What is normal for earthquakes. I suppose it is like asking someone how many times they move or turn over every night while asleep and forming some kind of average for turning over. The same would be true of earthquakes if one looked on a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly or decade average.
However, it seems to me that there are a lot more quakes above 5.0 worldwide and many more above 6.0 than is normal. But then again what is normal? And what does normal even mean in regard to earthquakes.
Having lived in California most of my lifetime and being now almost 62 I have never felt like any earthquake over 4.0 to 5.0 earthquake if the epicenter is near to me as "Normal". In fact, even if it is short at a 4.0 to 5.0 it can make the sound of a car blowing up as it hits your home, building or shelter you are in at that moment. I have even seen a 4.5 in Malibu Canyon roll across the ground so it looked just like a three foot tall ocean wave coming towards me. That is the only time I've ever seen that. Elizabeth Clare Prophet was giving a sermon at the time and when the earthquake earth wave hit her church she ran off the platform and podium and altar and didn't come back for about 15 minutes. This was in the early 1980s.
NO. Earthquakes are never normal so for people who live places where earthquakes seldom happen, "Do People ever get used to earthquakes? Yes. We get used to the little ones, it's the big ones that no one gets used to that hit every 10 or more years or so in California that kill and injure people that we don't get used to. Even one death from an Earthquake is too much for Californians.
But, it concerns me the number of earthquakes worldwide because the more big earthquakes, the more good sized aftershocks, the more good sized earthquakes elsewhere will occur. It is as if you straighten your clothes on one side of your body. When you do this you have to then adjust your clothes on the other side of your body. The same is true with earth as the crust slips around in pieces riding on the magma of earth. So the more big earthquakes one place the more big earthquakes somewhere else next.
The above website is an excellent interactive worldwide earthquake site if you want to know what earthquakes are happening and when worldwide. As you drag your cursor with your mouse over the larger squares you can click on the ones you are interested in. Even without clicking it will tell you the magnitude of that particular quake or aftershock.
Top 10 Posts This Month
- The ultra-lethal drones of the future | New York Post 2014 article
- reprint of: Drones very small to large
- Since the U.S. EPA is no longer functional here are the states with their own EPAs that will have to protect those states now
- Sand Fire information from CALFIRE
- GPS Satellites were invented when magnetic North and South moved to fast for useful navigation
- Reprint from 2010: To develop your gifts
- More U.S. soldiers in World War I died from the worldwide flu pandemic than from the war
- Chuck Lorre Productions #264 and #265
- Gyalwang Drukpa is an honorary title first given in the 1100s
- European colonization of the Americas killed 10 percent of world population and caused global cooling