Wednesday, July 22, 2026

More regarding those of us who survived the Viet Nam War

My own experience was very different in that I almost died from Seizures from a Concussion when I was 9 years old Rock Climbing with my father. So, at night I often had seizures where I would go unconscious for one or more hours and wake up shaking from this concussion from the time I was 10 to 15 years old but finally my cranium grew enough to release the pressure on my brain by age 15 so I never had a seizure ever again but which also kept me out of the Viet Nam War. So, for me it was very strange to have survived the Viet Nam war by something else that nearly killed me from ages 10 to 15 but still it kept me alive.

By God's Grace

However, many people I knew went to Canada to avoid the draft but often if they ever wanted to come back then they had to spend 5 years in jail before they could live a normal life here. Other people I knew deserted from the Army on leave here in the U.S. I had one room mate who told me he was a Viet nam Veteran in Venice, California but I later found out he eventually went to prison in Minnesota where he was from and spent 5 years in Jail for desertion of the Army.

Also, other strange experiences were that I went to a LOVE IN in Griffith Park in Los Angeles in 1969 and many soldiers were there wearing wigs to fit into the whole long hair thing then and Buffy St. Marie and the Flying Burrito Brothers played at that Free open Air Concert in Griffith park then.

However, then the police surrounded us and anyone stoned got beaten up with billy clubs and I'm not sure who survived and who didn't. But, I wasn't stoned so I could run from the police but the most stoned were beat up and I'm not sure how many survived or in what shape they were.

But, what was funny to me is all the obvious soldiers on Leave from Viet Nam with Wigs on joining us there at the Love IN in Griffith Park that day!

No comments: