Friday, October 30, 2009

Syncretism and Eclecticism: The hope of humanity

It is my belief that Syncretism and Eclecticism are the hope of humanity and of the continued survival of the human race on earth.

Syncretism from wikipedia is defined as:the attempt to reconcile disparate or contrary beliefs, often while melding practices of various schools of thought. This may involve attempts to merge and to analogise several originally discrete traditions, especially in the theology and mythology of religion, and thus assert an underlying unity allowing for an inclusive approach to other faiths. end of definition from wikipedia.

It is perfectly obvious to me that if enough people of earth don't join in a similar philosophy in regard to religion and politics that the human race will be extinct sometime in the next 1000 years. I would say that is a given.

So if your goal is the survival of the human race and of your family and friends and culture, finding ways to create bridges to lessen the causes of violence and conflict around the world are our only hope in resolving the problems of violence and war and never ending conflicts.

September 24th 2010- I realized much later that I didn't defince eclecticism so here it is:
Eclecticism is a conceptual approach that does not hold rigidly to a single paradigm or set of assumptions, but instead draws upon multiple theories, styles, or ideas to gain complementary insights into a subject, or applies different theories in particular cases. end quote. This is from wikipedia under the heading "Eclecticism".

When I was studying with a Catholic Priest who had been District Attorney of Santa Cruz County before he became a Jesuit Priest he once said to me, "You are very eclectic, Fred". I took this as a compliment because for me, "God is where you find Him,her, the being." I just took this as a compliment because of my heritage growing up as a Christian Mystic.

No comments: