Monday, June 12, 2023

I just found a photo of my father and his first wife taken in 1939 online

Someone had just sold it for around 20 dollars on Ebay strangely enough. I don't think I have a copy of this photo simply because it is now considered to be a historical photo taken by a newspaper of my father and his first wife when they chartered a yacht in Canada and then sailed south to Los Angeles and then went to Catalina Island off the coast of Los Angeles area and then sailed 40 days to Tahiti. Then there wasn't electricity there really at all and people were still pretty primitive and a great white steamship came by once a month to bring people and goods to Tahiti from the rest of the world. But, unless you sailed your own yacht there or got a ride on that steamship to Tahiti likely you couldn't get there from here at all then. 

My father brought back movies taken in Tahiti in 1939. I first converted them to VHS in the 1980s and then from VHS I converted them to DVD in the 1990s. In this form it is actually better than the original 16 mm movies my father took while in Tahiti and hawaii then from about 1939 to 1941. He went back to Seattle to work and his wife worked for the newspaper in Honolulu until Pearl Harbor and was evacuated back to the mainland on a steamship by the U.S. government likely after Pearl Harbor happened on December 7th 1941. I still have the DVDs of Tahiti and Hawaii from 1939 to 1941 my father took then as well as trinkets like a Tapa Cloth from Tahiti he brought back then from his 1939 to 1940 visit there to Tahiti and the Tuomoto Archipeligo then.

No comments: