Friday, June 2, 2023

The Slippery Slope of AI

I can remember watching the movie Terminator(1984) at a local theater then and going into the rest room with tears in my eyes realizing just how prophetic this movie might be (especially with my background in computer programming and computer operations during college and after.

But, the reason I say that Artificial intelligence is a slippery slope is that often it brings great good into people's lives too along with great potential bad.

Remember when the Internet first started in the 1990s?

People thought it would be wonderful. Was It? For example, Alexa stealing people's children's private moments as well as their own (making love) with a whole company watching or listening or both for example. 

I wouldn't own an Alexa just because of my knowledge of the industry. However, to many people Alexa and other "sentient" products that talk to you seem like fairty tales come true. 

However, they never were. Your phones take pictures with latitude and longitude built into every shot for example, Unless you unhook it's ability to do that (and how many of you can do this?) Even I with my background might be hard pressed to do this myself. So, my solution is to NEVER Publish any photos I take at my website in order to protect everyone. 

But, many people aren't as knowledgeable as someone like me who has actually worked in the field and actually knows things like this.

The Same is true of present AI that can write your term paper on any subject you want it to to the point where a Teacher or professor might not be able to tell that you didn't do it yourself.

But, what else can it do?

So, the point here is: "Everything might be okay until it is not!"

And this is the problem. Will you recognize when you or your family are being harmed by Artificial Intelligence or will you learn about how your whole family was harmed years later?

Or will a robot simply rip off one of your arms because no one told it you weren't another metal robot to begin with and that we are built more fragile than it is? (I saw this in "The Recruit" by the way which is a netflix series).

No comments: