Friday, August 16, 2024

Learning to express yourself through writing might save you 220 an hour for a therapist. Why?

There are unresolved issues in all of our lives. Each one of us has had different experiences both psychological and physical experiences in our lives. Trying to make sense of our lives is often difficult. Then we are thrown (often unwillingly) into the workaday world and this often just makes things worse.

IF we had a bad parenting experience on top of all of this often we might not survive well at all this transition.

I had really good parents who didn't smoke or drink or take drugs while I was growing up in the 1950s. But, where I grew up parents burning children's hands with lit cigarettes was kind of normal especially for parents who had been forced to marry someone they slept with or were raped by but they actually hated. Date Rape was common in the 1950s as it is most places on earth still. So, trying to survive with parents who hated you and burned you with cigarette butts or tortured you because they never wanted to be pregnant in the first place and maybe hadn't even finished 6th grade so were relatively uneducated and relatively ignorant and definitely not capable of useful critical thinking I saw a lot growing up.

However, my own father was valedictorian of his senior high school class in Seattle. So, I sort of had the opposite experience of a father who made me cry because my penmanship wasn't as good as his and forced me to write to make me a good writer. However, because I might have been left handed and forced to be right handed this wasn't going to work. It wound up just making me more ambidextrous so I had the use of both arms and hands unlike many people.

So, when you start writing about your experiences you don't have to share these writings with anyone. Also, whether you write longhand or print or type on a computer or typewriter it doesn't matter. However, for me, I took a typing class for typewriters in 7th grade for summer school and I have been typing reports and school projects through College ever since. So, I can type about as fast as I can talk now. And even when it isn't accurate I can always go back and correct any errors that I find because you can do this easily with text editors on computers. So, it isn't like typewriters where one wrong letter spoiled the whole page  (unless you used that white stuff correct tape to correct the errors and even then you could usually tell that there had been some mistake made.

So, writing, however you do it will allow you to process things maybe you couldn't process before and can empower you to take control of your life and to re-parent yourself especially if your parents made many mistakes while you were growing up. 

Learning to re-parent yourselves is likely the single most important thing you can learn to do because it helps you survive in all ways. Whereas for me, if I had tried to do what my parents wanted I likely would have committed suicide by age 25. So, I had to give up their unrealistic dreams for me and find ways to move forward that could ACTUALLY work for me in real life.

By God's Grace

No comments: