Friday, October 16, 2009

Life October 16th 2009

I've lived so far 61 years. When I was in my 20s I fully expected to be dead by 25 or 30. I think most people I knew my age from 1968 to 1978 sort of felt this way too because of the Viet Nam War and the Ongoing Cold War since the late 1940s. Life appeared just to temporary to go on living it. So when I turned 26 and my son was born I had a good reason to stay alive and got married and took raising my son seriously and stopped rock climbing(because I didn't want to fall off a cliff and die and leave my son without a father). I still rode motorcycles and skied and boogeyboarded and snorkeled and flew hang gliders and planes sometimes as well as gliders. But I gave up the sports that were the most likely to be fatal. This, I believe was a good idea because at 27 I lost a good friend to a rock climbing fall and in my 30s lost another close high school friend to a river kayaking accident.

Luckily, because of being an intuitive all these years I always knew just how far I could safely go in my adventures without being seriously maimed or dying. There are people who are so out of touch with physical reality that they fall down their front stairs and are maimed for life. This has never been me. I have fallen 40 feet and not broken anything. But I must say I am half Scottish and so am very big boned like the guys you see at Scottish games throwing the small telephone poles. I don't attempt things like that at my age but in my 20s and thirties I could easily pick up things(if I was careful) that weighed up to 400 pounds and more in an emergency. In my twenties I often picked up the front end of my VW bug and turned the car around to get it out of snow or mud and I could bounce the rear end of my VW bug out of snow or mud as well.
So, you can see why people never picked fights with me as I am 6 foot 4 1/2 inches tall.

I still at age 61 give my 13 year old daughter piggy back rides and would carry my wife that way too except she is afraid of falling and hurting herself as she is 53.

So, life goes on---

No comments: