Monday, March 15, 2010

Furby and Maggie May and my daughter's Corgi

We got Furby and my daughter previous dog, Maggie May, the same day. We had decided to get a dog but then my wife and I both decided the same day that we had found the dog. She found a jack russell Corgi mix and I found a dog that reminded me of my Dad's last Dog which was King, The German Shepard. After Dad had died he started to scare my mother so she gave it back to my Dad's sister and son who had King's mother. German Shepards are a one man or one woman kind of dog. Whereas Corgis love everyone. Furby has this quality of being a one man dog but also of loving everyone. When the raccoons got Maggie May, being a Jack Russell she gave as good as she got. She was a fighter. But Furby was always a very intelligent dog and understood about 300 words. He saw no point to fighting with raccoons over the trash cans and stayed out of it as Magie May attacked the raccoons. She died a month later from kidney failure. Furby was very out of it  until we bought a baby Corgi for about 800 dollars with papers. However, we didn't realize she was only 6 weeks old and should have stayed a little longer with her mother. At first Furby didn't know what to do with this little lump of fur. However, after she was about 2 or 3 months old he started playing with her. Since Furby was always a very intelligent dog he could fetch and follow commands and catch food thrown through the air like dog cookies and the like or catch a frisbee or fetch a stick or do many things on command. The new corgi followed Furby's example and eventually began to fetch sticks, balls or whatever too, on the beach or up in the forest while on walks. As Furby grew older he decided mostly he would rather smell everything and let the corgi do all the fetching. The corgi will fetch until she collapses from exhaustion so devoted now to fetching is she. Furby is still more streetwise and doesn't spook everytime a bicycle comes down the trail. Yesterday, she spooked and I didn't get her back for about 1/2 hour. A lady runner on the trails said she was 1/4 mile away from me running full out. However, when I reached my car at the trailhead she was there waiting for us. Alls well that ends well.

No comments: