Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Invention of Lying: The movie

I believe that Ricky Gervais both wrote and starred in this. The multidimensionality of this movie amazed me. I expected something basically silly but it turned out to be philosophically very sophisticated and an important movie to watch. When he came out with the two Pizza Hut Boxes(Like Moses with the 10 commandments written on stone tablets) I thought this was particularly appropriate and funny in a quite amazing way.

I grew up with many religious people who could not have dealt with a movie like this in the 1950s at all. However, nowadays people all over the world(at least in the western secular Christian world) could cope with this movie and benefit from it greatly.

It reminded me of a place I got to in my teens where I 90% believed in a God or Higher power and about 10% of me doubted there being a Creator. I finally asked myself if I would choose to stay alive in a world without logic, order, and reason and a benevolent Creative God.

My answer was, "No. I would prefer suicide to that."

So my logic was that since I wanted to stay alive in a body on Earth I would not worry about the 10% because if I did I wouldn't be alive to worry about it anyway.

I have never regretted this decision. Hundreds of times when I had had enough one day or another I would say to God, "God. I've had enough let me die. I give myself to you as I sleep tonight. If it is your will let me die tonight." Each time I would wake up in the morning reborn and renewed by God. To have a God to believe in like a magic parent that many of us had as small children takes away the fear of being a human on earth. Maybe as humans we need to believe in something greater than ourselves or we just crash and burn or take drugs or alcohol and destroy our lives. Since I made this decision in my teens I have never had any problems at all with alcohol or drugs ever. Though just like everyone else on earth who is human I have had problems too but I have never regretted any of my decisions regarding God.

No comments: