Thursday, March 18, 2010

traveling St. Patrick's Day

As we drove past Edward's Air Force Base my wife said, "What is that over there?" At first I thought it was vertical mine shafts as my father and grandfather were gold miners after they each retired as a hobby. But then I realized we were right next to the Air Force Base and that we obviously were looking at something else. I thought of the Last Indiana Jones Movie and realized this was a jet and rocket test station from the old days and possibly still being used for rocket testing because of it's proximity to the base. I smiled and thought of Indiana Jones on his rocket sled with the Soviet soldier. That was a really great movie, "Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull".

Years ago in an anthropology class I had done a paper on one of the Crystal Skulls in actuality. However, my professor said that most of the information on this Skull was more legend that provable fact. He still gave me a good grade because of research and presentation but still questioned the usefulness of the end paper because you really couldn't prove anything beyond a shadow of a doubt and there was a lot of murky stuff going on around all the crystal skulls in actuality.

Later, as the sun set in the desert the amazing 360 degree sunset that one sometimes gets from the deserts of California and on into Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado spread all across the sky. Since I wasn't driving that moment I opened the moon roof and took a couple of digital photos for my 14 year old daughter who was sitting in the back seat. She said one of them was really good so she kept it on her camera. I'll have to download it to my laptop to see it first hand.

No comments: