Saturday, February 21, 2009

My Avocado Tree

When my wife and I first married in 1995, I took an avocado pit and put three toothpicks in it and then put it in a paper cup with water and then soil until it sprouted.(they don't very often sprout this way I've found).

Anyway, it was such a pleasure that it not only sprouted but continued to grow for me that I have kept it all these years first indoors until it reached over 2 or 3 feet and now after all these years it is about 7 feet tall and in an outdoor clay pot about 3 feet in diameter and three feet high out on my redwood deck.

In the last 6 months I put three avocado pits into the soil next to the big avocado tree and they have now sprouted too and are about 1 foot to 18 inches tall now too alongside the big avocado tree in the big clay pot on the deck.

Since I have nurtured all four plants they seem at times almost like children or pets who often come unannounced into ones life also at life's whimsy. And all of them are a blessing.

No comments: