Friday, February 13, 2009

If you do something you can't live with then you won't

I have counseled a lot of people in my life, especially people 8 to 30 years old. People have always trusted me because I am very honest and straightforward, sometimes to a fault.

Even in really bad times worldwide it is still true, "Be as kind as you can be and still survive both to yourself and all beings." This is the key to long term survival.

The Tibetans have a saying I like. It goes like this. "Be kind to both friends and enemies because over time friends become enemies and enemies become friends." Though I often think they are talking about over 1000s of lifetimes, still I have seen this to be true in my 60 years because it seems like about every 5 years or so things can really change a lot in everyone's life. So, the best way I can put it is: "be kind and civil to all beings." Because if you aren't kind and civil, one of those beings just might kill or maim you, 5, 10 or 20 years down the line. And this holds true just as much for animals as people.

Whether you believe all this or not I have found it to be true. "What goes around comes around." This is working all the time whether any of us wants to believe it or not.

In my life God has always taken care of me when I least expected in and in the ways I least expected to be taken care of. God really does things in ways we never expect. It just seems like this is one of God's trademarks that God always does what you least expect in your life. So being kind to all beings while being prepared for anything seems to be the way to live a long and good life.

No comments: