Wednesday, August 15, 2018

1956 Ford Station wagon: I bought one in 1964 when I was 16

This is exactly what my 1956 ford Station wagon looked like that I bought for 800 dollars in 1964. It was 8 years old then and it had a big engine and I called it my "Surf Wagon". I reversed the shackles on the back end (the leaf springs) in the back so the car was on a Rake. Rear end high which was popular then among surfers like myself. Then we would drive to the beach from Glendale where I lived then when I went to Glendale High School and go surfing. I bought this with my own money that I worked for when I was 16  (one month after I turned 16) and I drove all over the place ever after because gas was very cheap then relative to how much money I was making. It would be like making 7 dollars an hour now and gas would be only 1 dollar a gallon at most relative to then. So, gas wasn't expensive for a 16 year old who always had part time jobs after school during the week. I didn't work weekends unless I had no other choice because I wanted to be free Saturdays and Sundays for Dating and Surfing and going places like Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm and places like that. I mentioned Skirts in another article. This one has a skirt you can see on the rear wheel well. My Ford didn't have this but this was about the last years you could get them back then I think. Skirts were popular from the 30s or 40s until around 1960 or so.


Image result for 1956 ford station wagon

No comments: