Sunday, March 17, 2019

Later in 2011 I bought a 2011 Tundra

After getting snowed in in Lake Tahoe for several days in 2011 with a bunch of parents from my daughter's private school and since only one other guy and I really knew how to deal with this in trying to get the snowblower out and shovel snow off the roof so it didn't collapse and off the deck so it didn't collapse and off the driveway so the 4 to 5 feet wouldn't make us even more snowbound than we already were it led directly to my buying a 2011 Tundra with a small V8 that could still get 20 mpg if it was just me in the vehicle because it is a 6 speed with high and low range 4 wheel drive.

Because of the extreme stock ground clearance if this vehicle likely I could have driven out and kept the road open if I had had it that weekend and just by tracking and pushing snow with my bumper on my truck I likely could have kept everyone free to ski and travel and not be landlocked more than a mile from plowed roads like we were when 5 feet of snow came down on us.

So, I haven't really been stuck in the snow since I bought my tundra 4 wheel drive ever because I can usually get out from almost any place I get into. If I was more extreme I would get a Winch on the front but I have heard too many stories of people losing fingers or snapping their cables from too much stress and losing limbs or dying when a cable snapped. So, mostly I'd rather not have to use a winch because that always can get pretty iffy unless you are in your truck or jeep when you are using it at the time. That way if a cable snaps the vehicle takes the broken snapped flying cable and not a part of your body.

Also, some Range Rovers I have heard about have this feature where they can hydraulically lift the whole car up in order to drive through deeper snow without being stopped by the front bumper on the snow. A friend of mine used this feature to keep a friends road open in Mount Shasta recently. and on each swipe of his road into his land lowered the vehicle about 1/2 inch to and inch to move more snow. This allowed my other friend to be able to drive out then with his Outback and to keep his road open onto 2 1/2 acres during the storms in Mt. Shasta without having to hire a snow plow to do this.

No comments: