Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sad

Recently when I went to Las Vegas I expected things to be the way they once were. But then again everything keeps changing I guess. Sometime between 1997 and 2008 they closed down most of the things I loved best about Las Vegas. I have never been a gambler because it isn't logical. If you play the odds ongoing you are going to lose. If you win it's a fluke and unless you stop then you are going to lose it all again anyway. So, why start?

But what I loved the best about Las Vegas was when they started making it a lot like Disneyland and all the rides for kids went in. But when I went to Las Vegas recently with my son, the only good part that I experienced this time was getting a $10,000 room  for $200 a night with 1500 square feet of space with 5 TVs two indoor Saunas the size of hot tubs and a TV in each bathroom and a view from the 13th floor with wall to ceiling windows that was to die for of the strip and of the airport. But all the things I used to love about Vegas like the Two STar Trek Rides (one with actors dressed up as Klingons and the other with Borg actors) and the Imax theater at the Luxor as well as all the night time acts with famous stars, I found that only the night club acts with stars remained of that whole time when families were welcome in Las Vegas. Now it has completely gone back to "Sin City" and away from its Disneyland ride atmosphere that it had from about 1995 until about 2008.

My son was very upset to be staying in Las Vegas even in a $10,000 a night room that we got mid week for $200 a night. He said, "Las Vegas charges too much for everything. When I was poor I came here when it was hot before I went to college and had to pay $5 for a 4 ounce bottle of water so I wouldn't die of thirst. I don't like being here, Dad." So, the next day I went to show him why I loved Las Vegas and all the venues I had taken his younger sisters to while he was in college and found they were all gone now. I felt sad like an old friend had died. 

He spoke to me about how every Friday night it was bumper to bumper Traffic up Interstate 15 from at least San Bernadino to Las Vegas which is 184 miles. So Friday night expect 184 miles of traffic jams so people can go lose their money in Las Vegas. My son says it has just gotten worse since the economic downturn. It has only made people even more desperate to lose their money in Vegas.

But this was just a side trip caused by there being no internet or phones or cell phones working at Stovepipe Wells in Death Valley National Park. However, we still had a great time hiking on the dunes in Death Valley and walking up Titus Canyon and driving by Area 51 on Hiway 95 and driving up to the ski lifts at 28 degrees Fahrenheit at Spring Mountain. So, taking a road trip with my mid thirties son was a whole lot better than being home alone and retired.

No comments: