TOKYO – Workers discovered new pools of radioactive water leaking from Japan's crippled nuclear complex, officials said Monday, as emergency crews struggled to pump out hundreds of tons of contaminated water and bring the plant back under control.
Officials believe the contaminated water has sent radioactivity levels soaring at the coastal complex and caused more radiation to seep into soil and seawater. Crews also found traces of plutonium in the soil outside of the complex on Monday, but officials insisted there was no threat to public health.
Plutonium — a key ingredient in nuclear weapons — is present in the fuel at the complex, which has been leaking radiation for over two weeks, so experts had expected some to be found once crews began searching for evidence of it this week. end quote.
There are some key words here that should be noted. One is "Hundreds of tons of contaminated water" which would be a euphemism for hundreds of tons of severely radiated water. Since one Gallon of water weighs 8.34 pounds we can divide a ton by 8.34 pounds and get our answer. However, there are many different tons:
1 long (or gross) ton = 2240 pounds (UK)
1 short (or net) ton = 2000 pounds (US)
1 tonne (i.e., a metric ton) = 2204.6 pounds
In the United States, when people say "a ton," they're thin.king the short ton, or 2000 pounds.
Top 10 Posts This Month
- The ultra-lethal drones of the future | New York Post 2014 article
- reprint of: Drones very small to large
- I had never heard before of the Rakoczy Mansion in Transylvania
- The Art of War - Wikipedia: Sun Tzu
- Natural Gas futures jump to 2 week high over more heat
- more on the Planet Savers and Elohar: the girl in the forest
- Dow Drops 2,997.10 today: Record Drop!
- GPS Satellites were invented when magnetic North and South moved to fast for useful navigation
- See Which States and Cities Have Told Residents to Stay at Home
- The Latest: Investors unsure how virus will impact profits