Sunday, March 6, 2011

Writing is Rewriting

Writing is rewriting. A writer must learn to deepen characters, trim writing, intensify scenes. To fall in love with the first draft to the point where one cannot change it is greatly to enhance the prospects of never publishing. Richard North Patterson 

end quote.


Though I completely agree with the above statement if I completely followed it you wouldn't be able to read what I write for free. So, for those of you who write because you love it like I do. 

Editing isn't why we write. Money isn't why we write. We write because it brings meaning to our lives in very intimate ways and hopefully this intimacy heals not only ourselves but our readers as well. It definitely save a lot of money in counseling. This is definitely true.


Though my wife drags me to our Grief Counselor at least once a month since her mother passed away in 1999 I find it fine tunes our marriage. The other thing that helps us is that we both went through Peer Counseling training. Two levels each. So whenever something comes up from our childhoods or young adulthoods we know it and don't project it onto each other. I find that projecting childhood or young adult wounds onto your present spouse or lover tends to be the single most common reason that relationships break up. My wife and I have presently been together 17 years so far. Pretty Good!


Also, if you think 12 years talking to a psychologist is too much for one death it hasn't been one death. In the last 12 years we have lost her mother, stepmother, her father, my mother, 3 of my aunts, 3 of my cousins, 1 of my best friends(I have two left from before age 25 now one is in a dementia facility and only can say "yes" "no" and "I love you") and luckily my last best friend from under age 25 is in Asia for a couple of months with his live in girlfriend. So I went skiing with him in January in Shasta before he left.

 

No comments: