Friday, April 10, 2015

Hospital Vision Quest

I sort of was toying with writing about all this from this pespective in recent days. The days of not knowing what was going on, the days of thinking you knew what was happening (but then you really didn't).

It would be a vision quest for me because my knowledge regarding medical doctors isn't that great simply because my parents usually didn't go to them or take me to them either. They were into what is called "preventitive health" which is about eating right so you don't get sick or infirm.

The other thing is that the only thing that prepared me at all for the various non-ordinary psychological states during a burst appendix and all that happens and can happen was a 4 day no water no food Vision Quest I did during 1983 during the summer then.

(more later?)

I'm looking back now at this whole process as "God trying to tell me that "Hey Fred. IF you don't change your life now you will be a diabetic which will greatly harm your lifestyle"

Though I have stayed "Strong and fit" since I have been in my early 40s, also I had to stop jogging 1 to 5 miles a day because a podiatrist discovered through x-rays hundreds of microfractures in my feet from when I was a young risk taker and used to jump off the tops of buildings onto the ground for sport.

Looking back now there was no reason we all did this other than the fact that we could survive it and we liked doing extreme things then from my then 10 to 15 year old self. Were there accidents when jumping off of roofs: "Of course" like when you would jump 12 feet onto a lawn and land wrong and your knee would hit your chin as you compressed to take the shock of hitting the ground and you would hear chips of your teeth come off from it or you bit your tongue.

But this "Young man's folly" made it impossible for me to keep running after about 40 to 42 years of age anymore.

I was very despondent about this because it meant I could not easily control my weight. Because jogging and hiking up to 30 miles in a weekend was how I mainly controlled my weight from age 12 to 40.

Though diabetes does not run in my family at all, still Dr. Fox at Mercy Medical who did my
  1. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laparoscopic_surgery   Cached
    Laparoscopic surgery, also called minimally invasive surgery (MIS), bandaid surgery, or keyhole surgery, is a modern surgical technique in which operations are ...
     
    that I might soon have diabetes (very soon) unless I completely controlled my sugars intake(both real sugar and fructose sugar).
     
    However, I am at an opportune time for this kind of shift in my diet.
     
    From the fasting for at least 10 days where I could not EVER have a regular meal during that time my relationship with food changed so that I could survive a new normal.
     
    Let me explain:
     
    In the new normal everything is based upon: "What will not make me throw up", rather than "What tastes good".
     
    Because while I was gravely ill I could not afford to "Throw up" because it greatly stole energy I needed to stay alive.
     
    So, from this view of: "What can I not eat that will make me throw up?" comes a path forward to a "Sugars Free diet" which is what I now have to do to prevent Diabetes ongoing in my life.
     
    So, engineering now an understanding of what that "Diet that won't make me throw up" looks like is my very next step.

No comments: