Friday, October 11, 2013

The Catalina Express

Though I have never ridden on one of these jet catamarans to Catalina Island "26 miles over the sea" from California, my cousin and his wife were telling me this is the easiest way to get to Catalina these days from Long Beach Harbor. This particular one is called "The Catalina Express" and we saw it returning to Long Beach Harbor while we were out sailing today on my cousin's sailboat. We have been sailing together on one of his sailboats since 1968 when he got his law degree and started practicing then.

In the old days (likely 1969) I went to Catalina on "The Great White STeamship" which was how most people got there then unless they went by Seaplane at that time. At that time my scuba diving buddy and some other scuba divers we met going over all rented a powerboat in Avalon Harbor and drove it up to Emerald Bay for a really nice day of Scuba diving way back then. I was 21 in 1969.

I did ride a jet boat like this over to Nantucket Island on the East coast though a few summers ago.

No comments: