Contrary to popular world belief, 72% of Russians agree with Putin in retaking Crimea. This is because Crimea was Russian until the Soviet Union Collapsed. Even Gorbachev who was instrumental in the end of the Soviet Union agrees with Putin retaking Crimea. This has made Putin more popular in Russia than he ever has been in three years.
Begin quote from: Time Magazine on page 12 of the March 31st 2014 issue:
"For Putin, punishment pales before the political prize. The annexation of Crimea has pushed his popularity higher than it's been in three years---to a stunning 72% in two nationwide polls, up almost 10% since the invasion of Crimea began. Roughly the same percentage of respondents said at the start of February that they did not want Russia to intervene at all in Ukraine's internal affairs. But, for Russians, the conquest of Crimea was not seen as an intervention. It felt like the rightful return to the status of empire that Russia had lost after the fall of the Soviet Union."
So, it is very unlikely that Putin will ever give back Crimea to Ukraine ever. However, what happens in the rest of the Ukraine by Putin is anyone's guess.
Top 10 Posts This Month
- The ultra-lethal drones of the future | New York Post 2014 article
- reprint of: Drones very small to large
- how do you change batteries on a black diamond headlamp?
- US Credit Cards With Smart Chip Technology
- Kurzweil Graph of exponential growth of computing
- more on the Planet Savers and Elohar: the girl in the forest
- Amnesiac medications
- part of "Mahasiddha" from dragonofcompassion.com
- What is "Carry Water Chop Wood" all about?
- Are Xanax and Valium and other similar drugs the next opioid Crisis? Yes, it's already here.