begin quote from:Washington Examiner2 hours agoPresident Trump's "short-sighted" policies have "weakened" the West, German Foreign Minister Sigmar Gabriel said on Monday. "Anyone ...
"Anyone who accelerates climate change by weakening environmental protection, who sells more weapons in conflict zones and who does not want to politically resolve religious conflicts is putting peace in Europe at risk," Gabriel said, according to Agence France-Presse. "The short-sighted policies of the American government stand against the interests of the European Union," he said, adding that "the West has become smaller, at least it has become weaker."
The remarks come one day after German Chancellor Angela Merkel spoke of the strain between the U.S. and Europe, and said Europe could no longer fully rely on Washington.
"The times when we could fully rely on others are to some extent over — I experienced that in the last few days," Merkel told her supporters. "We Europeans must really take our destiny into our own hands.
"Of course we need to have friendly relations with the U.S. and with the U.K. and with other neighbors, including Russia," she continued. "We have to fight for our own future ourselves."
Top 10 Posts This Month
- The ultra-lethal drones of the future | New York Post 2014 article
- reprint of: Drones very small to large
- It's raining as far south as Paso Robles and San Luis Obispo so far
- Westworld (TV series): Wikipedia
- Wetsuit - Wikipedia
- How these 23 entrepreneurs became the lesser known co-founders of the biggest tech companies in the world
- Opinion: I ditched Facebook in 2013, and it's been fine-CNN
- Self driving Uber car kills Arizona Pedestrian
- Blockchain is one way to disrupt Facebook (and other's) control of your information and data
- They Are Watching You—and Everything Else on the Planet - National Geographic