Tuesday, February 19, 2019

I never thought I'd see a Firefall in Yosemite again!

The ecological force that stopped "Firefalls" I thought could never be overcome. So, I'm very surprised that the Firefall is back. However, I also remember seeing the Firefall in August of 1963 when I was 15 with my friend and his family when I went there to camp for a week or two and my friend and I climbed Vernal and California-Nevada Falls and up to Yosemite Falls and swam most days in the river then. Imagine the movie "American Graffiti" in Yosemite and that was about what it was like then with people staying up to watch the 9 or 9:30 pm or so Firefall then almost every night.

It wasn't a fire hazard ever because what is actually at the base of Glacier point is huge rocks not trees or plants. So, unless the winds are blowing over 10 or 20 miles per hour in the Valley it shouldn't be a problem. What they do is to light Cedar Bark on fire and coal and then push it over from Glacier Point coaling and on fire to make a waterfall of fire that drops several thousand feet to the valley floor.

 Rating: 7.5/10 - ‎73,564 votes
A couple of high school grads spend one final night cruising the strip with their buddies before they go off to college. ... Richard Dreyfuss, Ron Howard, Paul Le Mat. ... Take a look back at Harrison Ford's movie career in photos.
Full Cast & Crew · ‎Trivia · ‎Plot Summary · ‎Paul Le Mat
American Graffiti is a 1973 American coming-of-age comedy film directed and co-written by George Lucas starring Richard Dreyfuss, Ron Howard, Paul Le Mat, ...
Budget‎: ‎$777,000
Box office‎: ‎$140 million
Production company‎: ‎Lucasfilm Ltd. The Copp...
Edited by‎: ‎Verna Fields‎; ‎Marcia Lucas

No comments: