Monday, August 28, 2023

Presently I write more to inform people more than to entertain them even though that might happen too

I find that I am a story teller but I tend to tell true stories like my father and grandfather before me. Before there was TV or Radio especially people told each other stories about what happened that day or what they read in the newspaper that was happening all over the world. So, talking about experiences you have had or other people have had in life was how people passed the time in front of their fireplace making food for dinner at night in the old days. And eventually watching the Fire was replaced in many homes starting in the 1950s or so with Black and White TV and later in the 1960s when Color TV was worth watching for the first time with Color TVs. But this didn't happen until at least the 1960s or so.

I can remember listening to radio shows like Gildersleave and Fibber mcGee and Molly from ages 3 to 6 years old with my grandmother while my parents went to church before we bought our first 17 inch black and white TV because my parents didn't want me staying next door so much watching TV at my 6 year old friends house when I was 6.

So, it wasn't really until first radio and TV when people stopped storytelling as much unless they were writers.

So, for me, writing the things I am experiencing or thinking about is a continuation of this long tradition of talking about things in life. In the Hawaiian culture they have a phrase I like called "Talk Story" which is a nice way of putting it. So, let's "Talk Story". 

I have always been a "Deep Thinker" in life even as a child. My father was valedictorian of his senior class in High School and so was always about 50 to 100 years ahead of most people on earth in his thinking. So, by the time I was 8 years old he taught me how to debate and how to defend my positions about all subjects I was interested in talking about. This helped me to become a critical thinker and a better decision maker always in my life than most people I met along the way.

It was very discouraging watching people destroy their lives often because they couldn't think deep enough or complete enough to continue surviving especially in the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and 1980s. I noticed how many people made bad decisions and this often cost them their lives as children, young adults and adults. So, I always tried to learn from my own mistakes and everyone else's mistakes too. This is one of the reasons I write so you and I and all our children might survive and have good lives too.

No comments: