Friday, May 23, 2014

Don't get locked out of your computer!

When computers like PCs were new in the 1980s everyone was putting passwords on their computers just to get in. However, I stopped doing that when I forgot one of my passwords because then there was no way in because I hadn't written it down. So, for me, I don't use passwords to use my devices because of this. However, then there are passwords for every place you go on the Internet. However, over time you can access the places you forget your password and prove you are the right person by questions you left to answer and make a new password so you aren't locked out of anywhere you want to go. (Especially, areas you subscribe to).

However, with the new types of attacks and people wanting long passwords combining upper case and lower case letters and number in a jumble sometimes 100 characters long this is a whole new layer of potential confusion. So, learning to master whatever passwords you develop is really important so you don't get locked out of places you want to go. So, be careful what passwords you use because the longer the passwords the greater chance for some kind of error logging in. For example, you could have the right password and then you could be using the wrong case on one of the letters you choose, for example and it isn't going to work. So, security is important but I don't think the Internet will actually ever be what I would call "Secure" ever. Because as soon as it becomes "Secure" someone is going to develop a way to break that security.

It's sort of like your home. You might have even a burglar alarm installed. But anyone still can break a window and get in if they want to bad enough. The same is exactly true of the Internet.

No comments: