Saturday, February 9, 2019

What's bizarre about the weather in Northern California tonight

Snow is falling as far south as Napa right now in California which might mean frost or snow on Grape vines right about now. Also, snow in clear lake Ukiah, Willits, and even some in Red Bluff. At lower elevations it probably won't stick because the ground is too warm but it also means it might be unsafe to travel tonight up Interstate 5 north of about Woodland too except for drivers experienced in driving on snow or black ice also.

Let me tell you a story of when I was young about 20 and in my 1968 Camaro around 1969 with wide tires. I drove up into the mountains above Los Angeles that go up to about 8000 or 9000 feet in elevation and wasn't used to driving in conditions where rain slowly turned into snow yet. So, I was headed towards Mt. Waterman in the Angeles Forest and had just passed Chilao when I got to a point where I noticed that the rain drops were changing. But, I didn't register that this meant it was slowly changing from rain to sleet or snow until I went around a corner on these wide Camaro tires and did a 360 and more and it was all I could do to not go over a 3000 foot drop-off. My car finally stopped facing the reverse direction I had been heading and I counted myself lucky not to be dead and the fact that I was the ONLY car on the road. So, I just drove down again counting myself lucky and not used to driving where rain turns into snow then at age 20 because I was mostly raised in Southern California in the Los Angeles area in Glendale and Tujunga.

No comments: