Saturday, May 17, 2014

Understanding Education in the U.S.

The world might look at the U.S. and say, "Oh. Isn't it wonderful that the U.S. has compulsory education so their kids don't have to wind up selling themselves as sex slaves on the open market."

And that might be true.

However, the basis of public Schools in the U.S. is not the education of children, the basis is tenure for Teachers. So, unless you understand what Teacher's unions across the U.S. are all about (Tenure) then you might think kids can actually get an education at public schools (sort of at some schools). What I mean be sort of means that (I went to a good public schools in California from kindergarten through my Junior year in High School when I went to a private school for one year). And basically public school compared to the private school I went to did not compare in any way, shape or form to what I experienced in public schools.

First of all, public school education is first about surviving the students. Next, one has to survive the teachers. First, you get young enthusiastic teachers fresh from college (They are great!) before they get crushed by the system and eventually quit or are fired or they become dead in their eyes and robotic like the rest of the teachers eventually who stay there because it is convenient to have a job to support themselves. (of course there are exceptions to this and they are wonderful). But, generally, the light in teachers eyes leaves within 5 years when they see just how bad it is to be a teacher in a public school on every level.

Of course it is also important to say that public schools would be even worse without teacher's unions to bring up pay for teachers so ANYONE at all chooses to teach there. But, as someone who grew up in a really good public school system fro 1956 until 1965 when I went to a private school in Santa Fe, New Mexico for a year, the biggest problem was just trying to stay alive and not get killed by other students who were mentally ill and brought weapons to school to harm or kill other students. And some of these students were karate experts so they could kill you with one well placed hit if they wanted to. So, you had to think about this when someone threatened your life in school always.

These sorts of problems don't exist usually in private schools as much because most people who threaten people get expelled immediately the first time. However, this doesn't always happen in public schools where often even teachers are threatened or murdered or raped by these kinds of students.

I was just lucky because I was always big and strong enough for people to know if they physically picked on me I was strong enough to maim or kill them if necessary. So, people usually left me alone (at least in my own grade).

However, many people smaller than me and weaker than me sometimes I couldn't save because of these insane types of people who should likely have been aborted rather than be tortured their whole lives by whoever was raising them (or not raising them).

So, first of all, you have to actually survive public school physically, emotionally and mentally to make it to college where things might be a little better for people in the short and long run if they are intelligent enough to survive there on all levels.

So, my solution was to home school my older children so they didn't have to go through the torture that I did from Kindergarten through my junior year in High School. However, I loved college because I could learn whatever I wanted to and most people that were bad in grade school and high school were either dead by High school or joined the military and usually died or were killed then in Viet Nam or by fellow soldiers who fragged them with hand grenades while they were sleeping.

So, by home schooling my two step kids and my son from ages 8, 6 and 5 through grade school, this gave my kids a head start and now all of them have college degrees and are successful in their lives.

We home schooled them all on Independent study for 5 years with:


  1. Oak Meadow: Homeschooling Curriculum, Resources, and ...

    www.oakmeadow.com/
    Oak Meadow
    Creative homeschooling curriculum and fully accredited K-12 school. Project-based, innovative materials for your home-based educational journey.
    Google+ page · Be the first to review

    74 Cotton Mill Hill, Brattleboro, VT 05301
    (802) 251-7250
  2. High School Curriculum and Enrollment at Oak Meadow ...

    www.oakmeadow.com/school/courses.php
    Oak Meadow
    What do YOU want from your high school education? If it's a challenging academic experience delivered via engaging courses and creative projects, you're in ...
  3. School - Oak Meadow

    www.oakmeadow.com/school.php
    Oak Meadow
    School: An Overview of Distance Learning. All of the benefits of learning at home with teacher support and full academic credit. Enrollment in Oak Meadow ...
  4. Oak Meadow School Home - Littleton

    www.oakmeadow.org/
    Oak Meadow School is rooted in the child-centered Montessori philosophy, which fosters academic excellence, personal growth, and cultural awareness while ...
    With my two youngest daughters (one 25 and one just turned 18) we home schooled the older one and sent the youngest one to private schools from 2nd grade to this years graduation which was expensive but affordable now because we are older and successful enough to afford to do this. The youngest one has been accepted to all 7 colleges she applied to.

    Note: My life was almost exactly like the boys in "Stand By Me" a movie from 1986 with older boys who were hoods and kind of insane threatening me and others with knives and intimidation. This was just something you had to learn to survive then. So, this was my experience sort of from about age 9 to about age 13 when I grew from 5 foot 2 to 5 foot 10 in one year then by 14 I was 6 feet tall and 6 foot 3 by age 16 and 6 foot 4 by age 17 and almost 6 foot 5 by age 21. So, the bigger and the stronger I was the less people I had to worry about harming or killing me generally speaking. When I camped with other boys we took .22 rifles so we could protect ourselves.

No comments: