Monday, May 2, 2011

For Writers

If you like to write or even if you want to get paid for it, since I have enjoyed writing since I was in grade school and writing stories and getting B's and A's on most of my  writing since about the 4th grade through College I thought I might share what works for me regarding "writer's block". First of all I never get writer's block anymore (and seldom ever did) because of the way I structure(or don't structure) my life.

There are some basic rules for never getting writer's block:
1. First rule: Don't box yourself in so you feel trapped in your life.
2. Second rule: The best time to write is when you don't wake up to any alarm clock or anyone yelling at you to get up. This way you get up completely rested and come from a dream or heaven realm kind of place and so you wake up happy to write and know exactly what to write about. Often if I do this I start writing even before going to the bathroom or anything else so I don't lose my new happy idea of what to write about.
3. When you get an idea jot it down enough to fill it in later (even if it is notes on your Iphone that you pull over to the side of the road to jot down under the notes button and then transfer it later to your laptop or Ipad or whatever keyboard you like to use. (These can be prose, poetry, lyrics for songs etc.)

4. Honor your ideas by not presenting them to the unawakened or unillumined until you are ready which could be soon or never. These ideas are your "babies" so take care of them. Nurture them so they can grow up into something amazing just like children in real life. Years from now they may take on a life of their own. You don't know now. Now they need your protection from the unenlightened and unwashed until they are ready for the world.

5 By honoring yourself, your rest, your ideas, your relationship with yourself and all life, you often wind up with something really amazing if you nurture the ideas properly at every stage just as if they were your own children.

No comments: