Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The main Trick to Losing Weight over 40 years of age

When I was under 40 years of age since I was very physically active keeping my weight down and being buff (muscled and fit) was pretty easy for me. I jogged 1 to 5 miles with my wife then pretty regularly. My 2nd wife then in the 1980s had been an alternate for the Olympics in the Butterfly stroke for swimming. So she was also an endurance athlete like I always was. I was never a sprinter on land or in water but I was always pretty good at distance jogging or distance hiking or anything that required endurance. I've found this particularly helpful psychologically in making it to 63 years of age.

However, by 40 I started to have trouble keeping my weight down. First, I started to have trouble with my feet with bone spurs. Then I learned to roll those out with a rolling pin on the floor to crunch them but that was also pretty painful sometimes. I also had trouble with fasting after 40 because of having a problem with low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Before this I would often just not eat until 4pm in the afternoon. This greatly cut down my food intake because I knew about myself I wasn't a controlled dieter. I could either eat or not eat. So under 40 not eating (sometimes for days) allowed me to stay fit. But this stopped working entirely for me by age 40. By age 50 I had had a heart virus. But then something good happened, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at age 58. You might wonder why this was good. It is because I would be dead likely by now or within a few years of now if I hadn't been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Now, I could live to almost any age because I now take Armour Thyroid(which is completely side effect free) from Canada. Which is perfect for me.

And now, I'm finally at age 63 learning the secret of loosing weight over 40. It is about starting out the day with protein and eating the right things within every 3 hours while you are awake because you can't lose weight by starving yourself (fasting) when you are over 40 (most people can't anyway).

So now, I have learned to start out with Whey Protein  1 or 2 scoops in 8 ounces of 1% milk blended in a blender when I first wake up in the morning. This and a single piece of Toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter only will give a body precisely what it needs to be alert and to keep a person from being hungry for about 3 hours. (The trick appears to be that one only eats crazy when one waits four or more hours to eat). That appears to be why people eat crazy things. So, the real trick is to give the body precisely what it needs so you don't have any real hunger and then 3 hours later give it what it needs again and the final thing is don't eat anything after 6 to 8 pm at night. When you do this you will feel any fat start to burn off your body. Then set up a regular exercise program even if it is just walking your dogs around the block or getting on your Exercycle for 1/2 hour or more. Or if you have a pool you can swim laps or if you can jog without injuring your feet or ankles after 40 do that or whatever exercise you prefer. I am amazed how easy this is because I have been struggling and exercising trying to find the right balance for almost 20 years now. It can be really tough over 40 to keep in shape. And it is downright depressing especially if you were always fit when under 40. It makes you want to give up and die. But here is new hope to stay healthy, fit and alive for any of you like me out there.

1 comment:

Russell Moris said...

I'm a hypothyroid too. I got sweaty and experienced hot flashes. I am also prone to moodiness. Luckily, bovine thyroid changed all that.