Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Morels and Boletas

I just got off the phone with a friend in the Cascades around Mt. Shasta. He was out in the wilderness there searching for Morel mushrooms growing wild there in places he has picked them before. I think Morels are my very favorite mushroom to eat, partly because there is no mistaking them from other poisonous mushrooms like many others and dying from eating the wrong mushrooms. IF you go to Google Images (I can't right now because wifi won't take me there for some reason) and look up under google images (morel mushrooms) you can see they are very distinct in their shapes and colors from almost all other mushrooms.

I can remember when I was young and even more daring than I still am when I ski or jump on my klr 650 when a friend of mine and I were driving north to Mt. Shasta (around 1969 or 1970 around there) and we found all these mushrooms growing in a friends front yard and we picked them all and ate them in a salad for dinner. I wasn't familiar ever in my life picking mushrooms and eating them anywhere up until then. Because of this I was a little scared (after I ate the mushrooms) that I might die. Ever since then I realized that every time I pick mushrooms or friends pick mushrooms I need to double check any way I can (BEFORE) I eat them to make sure they actually ARE edible.

Because people are dying all over the place around the world because of the "Safe?" mushrooms they pick that are supposed to be so good but then everyone dies.

So, if you are going to pick mushrooms (BE SURE) you know what you are eating. Because there are the ones that are good for you, the ones that are hallucinogenic and might kill you, or the ones that just kill you no questions asked.

So, if you are the picker be sure you know what you are doing, and if you are not at least go to google images and double check what you have. And if there is any concern at all not eating them might be the better part of wisdom if you want to stay alive.

Here are some images from Google I was able to find now: (these are all morels which as you can see are very unmistakable compared to most mushrooms: (They start growing around Mt. Shasta on up into Oregon in the Cascades.

Search Results

Image result for morel mushroom
Image result for morel mushroom
Image result for morel mushroom
Image result for morel mushroom
Image result for morel mushroom
Image result for morel mushroom
Image result for morel mushroom
Image result for morel mushroom
Image result for morel mushroom
Image result for morel mushroom

No comments: