Wednesday, February 20, 2019

IN 1973 I stayed 3 or 4 days at Horse Camp on my 25th birthday in the spring in over 20 feet of snow

I had to stand on the roof on the snow and dig down about 10 feet to open the door to go in and then I also had to dig out a window so I could see the mountain before I built a fire in the wood stove to stay warm then. IN 1973 Horse Camp was seen very differently than it is now by everyone. At that time I figured the snow was 20 to 25 feet deep and ONLY the chimney was visible when I arrived to know that I had arrived at Horse Camp Sierra Club Lodge. Having the Sierra Club emergency lodge buried like this was more normal in the 1970s and 1980s than now in all the drought years except this one. My friends tell me snow is 30 feet deep at Panther Meadows too and over 20 feet deep at Bunny Flats now as well. My friend also said the snow won't melt out this year at all in the summer and likely because of this the road above Bunny Flats likely won't ever open this Spring Summer or fall before the next snows. So, if you go camping at Panther meadows it won't likely be in your car or truck or camper because you won't be able to drive there likely this summer. This happened a lot in the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s by the way. I wrote and played guitar for 3 or 4 days way back when and the lady I drove with her daughter to Mt. Shasta from Los Angeles took a bus back to Alaska where she lived then. Now she lives in North Carolina and all her kids are grown up. We had gone to Lake Shrine for Easter that year when Saint Germain appeared to me that evening in Rancho Bernardo. I'm trying to remember whether I rented Snow Shoes at Fifth Season in Mt. Shasta or whether Fifth Season was even open yet. Not sure 46 years later now. a following article says that Leif has retired and that they opened in 1977 4 years after I spent my 25th birthday at Horse Camp Sierra Club Lodge in 1973. So, if I had snow shoes I either borrowed them from a friend in Los Angeles or I rented them from another place or there was enough crust for me to walk there just with boots because I didn't own cross country skis that I bought in Ashland until 1974 in May for the very first time when I moved there with my first wife and baby son. I had only met my first wife a few months before and we hadn't even begun dating yet in 1973 in the Spring. But, within a year we had a son and were married by may 1974. IN 1976 we spent our first whole year there living in Mt. Shasta and by 1980 I had bought land and was building a house on our 2 1/2 acres there.
It looked then a lot like this then in 1973 Horse camp Sierra Club Emergency Lodge for climbers year around in storms so they won't die from the weather. I think it's been here since the 1920s maybe at tree line. It's built strong enough so you could likely have 20 or 30 feet of snow higher than this and the roof wouldn't collapse. You can see the chimney and that's all in this picture too:


No comments: