Tuesday, May 13, 2014

My son expects me to know things

 My son now often expects me to know things I did in the 1980s and 1990s as if the 1980s and 1990s are today. But often, things in relation to computers and the Internet and smart phones and Ipads and all that are changing everyday. Even my 25 year old daughter says it is hard for her to keep up with all the changes. And so, my 18 year old who is graduating her private school in some ways is more up to date with many of the changes than the rest of us in the family.

Though I studied Network Engineering (which is why my son expects me to know everything about computers, this just isn't so because everything keeps changing so quickly.

Likely, people 10 to 20 years of age would know the most about this generation of computer developments in general. Whereas someone like me has just experienced so many different generations of computer related hardware and software since the 1960s that I now try to learn as little as I possibly can about each new generation just so I have less to forget within the next year or two when everything changes again to some new format or formats.

However, what I do know is specifically how programming and computer engineering and how the Internet is engineered to actually work. I do know all that but that doesn't necessarily help me as a user as new devices come out by the thousands over the years. No matter how intuitive a device is you still have to start from scratch with each new device, especially if you are used to Android and you go to Iphone (Android is much more difficult to learn in the first place) whereas Iphone's tend to be much more simplistic and intuitive. (However, you can do more things with an Android if you want to take the time to learn about them).

In my own life I have now given up all my PC's and only keep now Imacs and Macbook Pro laptops for me and my family. Even my son who is a gamer as a hobbyist and 40 soon keeps both Macbook pros and then builds his own custom made PC desktops for gaming. So, he still does both. I'm pretty impressed with how he custom builds his computers into Ferrari like specialty items that you simply cannot ever buy off the shelf. However, by ordering parts through Amazon prime he usually can save about $300 dollars in regard to computer components in shipping costs by being a member there at Amazon Prime where everything is shipped for free.

My daughter's boyfriend just bought a Imac desktop 24 inch Screen that also runs Virtual PC for Gamers. So, this is something new I just heard about too.

No comments: