Friday, February 8, 2013

If Mad Scientists?

I saw this add for Verizon today that said, "If mad scientists can endanger the world, nice scientists can save it." Though I might question the motivation of any large business that said something like this in an add in a magazine I actually agree with the sentiment.

Most of the time I wouldn't even call the scientists who invent things like they are talking about, "Mad Scientists" simply because it usually isn't any one scientist that invents things by himself anymore. So, often scientists are hired by a Multi-national Arms maker to do almost anything that they want done. So, I think the whole idea of mad scientists is actually for another era entirely. I think now you have to consider more short sighted corporate heads who don't really know or want to know what is actually being built and rather in it for the money no matter what happens after the product is developed. So, dangerous inventions come about more through too many people being involved and no one person saying, "Hey. This could endanger all life on earth! What are we doing!" So, because there isn't just one person with a conscience and rather thousands of people without their conscience fully engaged we get things that could be catastrophic for life on earth. So, how do you address this problem?

I think in defining the problem like I just did a solution can be found.

No comments: