For me, it's nice to watch the Oscars. Since we got our first television in 1954 (a 17 inch black and white TV), my mother and I (and sometimes my Dad) would watch the Oscars together. We were in Tujunga then (which is up against the mountains there in Los Angeles County). So, it was happening right near where we lived. Also, my Mom and her Dad and sisters started going to the movies during the 1920s when she was about 5 years old (movies were a nickle then). By the time I was 5 movies were then about 25cents for a child, 50 cents if you were a junior(12 to 17) and anywhere from 75 cents to 1 dollar for an adult. After we moved to Glendale we often went to the Alex Theater (I think it's still there) for first run movies. It became a tradition of my Dad and Mom and I going to the movies if it was of an Oscar nominated movie. Later, I remember going over to West L.A. and seeing "The Sound of music when I was 17 and my girlfriend was 18 and she was going to L.A. State. My parents went along this time because my girlfriend we had all known since I was 6 years old in my church.
So, today it was nice watching the Oscars and pretending my Mom was still alive. I also watch the evening news on NBC or CBS or ABC nightly because this is what I often did with my father when we were together from the 1954 until he passed on in 1985 in the summer. So, the Oscars today allowed me to feel like my parents were still alive and we were all watching the Oscars together just like we did since 1954 in Tujunga when I was 6 years old.
Top 10 Posts This Month
- reprint of: Drones very small to large
- The ultra-lethal drones of the future | New York Post 2014 article
- most read articles from KYIV Post
- 158,008 visits to intuitivefred888
- A Longer History of the Internet
- Cancer rates 1900 to 2000 and beyond
- How He lives without money
- Here's a repeat of the articles about Iguanas falling out of trees because they are frozen and cold blooded in Florida
- Wikipedia updated to today on: The Islamic State: (of Iraq and the Levant)
- ISIS or ISIL? which is correct?